Monday, August 28, 2006

Mixing Latter-day saints with politics

Today I took a cyber walk down memory lane. There was a site I used to frequent that is a Mormon myspace. I think we all know the site to which I refer. Within this site there are discussion forums. The one I would frequent was the political one. Because I haven't been there for months I was not ready for what I was about to read. Here is the beginning thread.

"Global Warming Unstoppable for up to 100 Years, even if humans disappeared.
Better hurry and pass some international laws, eh? Actually, many scientists say it looks unstoppable for about 300 years due to the lag time, meaning that it's too late to correct. Just for fun, let's assume this is true. Should we focus more on coping or fighting a lost cause in prevention?
Or.... do those urging global legislation have another motive entirely?"

"Rationalguy" links to a National Geographic page that explains there are some models that predicts polar ice caps melting for hundreds of years after today. That is if we stopped all emitions today. A gloomy picture to be sure. Near the end he makes an implication, by asking the question, "Should we focus more on coping or fighting a lost cause in prevention?". He implies that we shouldn't waist our time cutting down pollution because it is hopeless. Okay so my mind is half blown. I forgot people think like this.

Let me tell you how the other half was blown. This next post huffed and puffed and said, "I think the end of the world will come before then anyway so it might not be anything to worrry about." What I was about to say was "what about after toughs few hundred years?" But the young scholar "Banndor" pulled the rug right out from under my idealistic crocs, with me in them. Well check mate! All I could say was "this is a joke, right? ... You guys are joking."
Remember in the early years of the Internet when you could trust a person’s self-chosen title, you know the good old days. Well Rationalguy you really muffed this one. Maybe you ment Nationalguy.

Dear Nationalguy,
I can understand why you are resistant to change. It hurts. Change makes you do new things. New things cost time and money. But, arguing with progress could cost more time and money in the long run. Lets have some hope in humanity. Even after reading your post I still have hope. Well honestly I have a little less hope because I am reminded that there are people really short sighted.

P.S.
Dear Banndor,
Not even you know when the end of the world is. I know your level 12 Wizard "Banndor" scored high far-seeing points when playing Dungeons and Dragons. Banndor, you aren't a wizard you are a guy that wishes he were someone else.

6 comments:

Cache said...

go gian, lay the smack down. and i know what you mean about the good old days of trusting a person’s self-chosen title. A couple years ago there was a guy in my dorm whose e-mail address was something like, buffasian69@hotmail.com. I found out later who he was and was shocked to find that the only true part of his name was the asian.

steve said...

I have heard the "Don't worry, the second coming of Christ will happen long before we can destroy the planet" argument a lot in LDS circles, and from other Christian groups. And you know what? Maybe Jesus will come back before we scorch the earth. I don't know about 'rationalguy' or 'banndor', but when my parents go on vacation, I like to clean up after the party before they come home… We will need to answer for our stewardship - all of it. "Replenish the earth" doesn't mean we are supposed to procreate - that's the "multiply" portion of the commandment. We will all stand accountable for our stewardship of the earth. Whether Jesus comes tomorrow or in 300 years, I still have to answer for how I took care of the planet during my stay here. To excuse away our responsibilities to the earth is like burying the talent and telling God "talent? What talent? You never gave me a talent!"

Keep hope alive Gian. There are more environmentally minded people than it may seem.

riggity said...

I've always sort of felt like every environmental cause (and most other causes for that matter) are, in the big picture, lost causes. That is, I can ride my bike to work and recycle my tin cans all I want, but my part is just so small that it won't really make a difference.

But that just doesn't matter to me. My obligation, from a moral perspective, is to do what is right regardless of the ultimate outcome. I don't eat at restaurants on Sundays, not because I actually believe actions will force them to close their doors for lack of business. My refusal has no "real" impact, and I understand that. But I continue because I've made a decision about it being the right thing to do.

So, regardless of whether the second-coming will make our efforts unnecessary, we have a moral obligation to do what is right. And from a mormon perspective, I think that properly taking care of things is probably what is morally right.

Anonymous said...

Gian, you may want to listen to the Dianne Rehm show that aired today.

http://www.wamu.org/programs/
dr/06/09/08.php#11490

"The Holy Vote"

Anonymous said...

Did you listen to that program?

Also, remember to keep it civil. No reason to dirty your hands with name-calling or personal attacks.

BTW I think the end of the world will occur July 34th, 3030 on "New Earth."

Anonymous said...

wow, I just googled my name and found this blog. I just want to say I find it quite humorous if the first remarks about me thinking the end of the world might come before 300 years are serious. Do people really take those posts seriously?
lol.

banndor...."the scholar"