Thursday, April 06, 2006

The origin of my last name



Bagni di Lucca is the name of the town my family is from. Just looking at the picture, I feel myself starting to brim with oily pride. Andrea and I will be visiting there in July. Our trip will be one part getting back to my roots and one part Rick Steves. I have grown up with stories of Italy and the food. My father loved to cook many Italian dishes. Leon (my father) would tell us stories about the Italian deli his father owned in Pasadena CA. His description of the sandwiches he made for himself with the many options he had behind the deli glass made our mouth water. Leon would sneer at the subway commercials on TV and start into a tale of Fresh bread and imported meats and cheese. I remember all us kids identified so much with our Italian roots that my mother had to start her own PR campaign. She started reminding us we had the power of tartans and haggis on our side. I have visited Jolly ol' England three times. And it is truly wonderful. It is magical. Visiting my Welsh family could be one of my favorite moments in my life. I have never been to Italy. So things evened out. I am so looking forward to get to know my people on the other side. Here is a link to a government page in the little town of my family.

1 comment:

Allan said...

Old Marino Pierotti's got your nose, Gian. I'm jealous that you get to go to Italy.