Friday, November 28, 2008

I have been listening to podcasts for more than a year now.

My top three are:
1. Radio Lab... The two hosts have a great sense of humor and are able to present science in a way that helps you understand how you fit into this world. It is an artful approach to science. They give new wonder to the world around us. Here is one of my favorites. http://www.wnyc.org/shows/radiolab/episodes/2007/08/05 click on "listen to the whole show"

2. My next favorite podcast is 606 5 live call in show with Danny Baker. It has got to be the one with Danny Baker because Alan Green and Tim Lovejoy are both pratts, Spoony is alright, I guess. Okay, now stay with me. Usually this is your regular English football call in show where people windge about the refs. But on Tuesday night Mr. Baker turns it into story time. People call in to tell stories about topics like "what crazy object have you been hit with while attending a football match." or "where have you seen people wearing English football jerseys outside of England?" This link has an American calling in this is not the norm http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/programmes/606withdannyb/audio.shtml

3. The classic Tales podcast With BJ Harrison. This guy was in my old ward. He reads scripture very well. He can really project. The classic tails podcast is Bj reading from classic literature. I put this in as my third place pick because this podcast really lets me get taken away with the story. Just today I heard the story Rikki Tikki Tavi. I had forgotten how good that story is. Maybe I am a sucker for "a boy and his mongoose" stories. I couldn't find the rikki tikki tavi story but you can't go wrong with an O Henry story. http://cdn1.libsyn.com/classictales/CT_83_Thanksgiving_in_NY.mp3?nvb=20081129035054&nva=20081130040054&t=01d8acd5da7d0800d173d

2 comments:

Boireannach said...

I shared your science podcast with my boss (a biophysics prof). He would like to see science GE courses in particular have a relationship to people's lives rather than having just rote learning of facts and figures. He thought your podcast was fun.

Michelle said...

oh, i didn't know you were blogging again. ryan could use some help with the whole podcast thing, but he's never here so...