Saturday, March 18, 2006

I was sick today

It was a good day to be sick. I have college basketball going most of the day. The USA network shows SVU for like six hours. What can I say; TV is what I do when I am sick. To be honest the TV hasn’t really given me much. It is mainly a time killer. Today was rare. Fox was playing the movie "The Straight Story". I haven't seen this movie for years. It is such a quiet little movie. I think for that reason I forgot it. The movie stood out so much compaired to the loud flashings of sports, pedophiles, MTV people dating other peoples mothers, and on the minute news updates. On TV I caught a glimpse of humanity in its purest state. I saw a real story. The story wasn't meant or made for TV. The story is beautiful in its simplicity. It is about two brothers that haven't spoken for ten years. They are both old. The main character, Richard Farnsworth,(you know Mathew from Anne of Green Gables) wants to make amends with his brother.
Cyber space, hear me! Rent this movie. Go home watch it by yourself. Or watch it with someone that gets it. I think you know what I mean. This movie is what America is. You will see what is so great about our culture. The story is not news. It is not outrageous. But I think you will find its value much more.

No comments: